Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Maine - Pioneer (2011)

Let me start by saying I'd never heard of The Maine until a few days ago, I came across their track "The Way We Talk" on YouTube and was instantly hooked! I went out and bought the first album by them that I came across. That album was Pioneer, just by looking at the cover I knew I was in for a treat. 

Cover Art for Pioneer
Pioneer is kicked off with "Identify", a pretty catchy slower tune. "Identify" is one of those songs that when you hear it for the first time, you know by the end you'll fall in love with the album. Next up is "My Heroine", an interesting track that is jumps between blues, jazz and rock with some southern attitude thrown in the mix. Moving along we come to "Time" and "Some Days", these two tracks show why most people will love The Maine, catchy pop rock that appeals to everyone without sound generic. Tracks 5 and 6 are "I'm Sorry" and "Don't Give Up on "Us"", I'm sure you get the picture with these two songs, put these in a safe somewhere for when you're going through a breakup. Now we come to my favourite on Pioneer, "Misery", this song just works in every aspect, the chorus has been stuck in my head since I heard it, I'll be listening to this one for many years to come! "When I'm at Home" embodies what music is all about, jamming with your mates and having a good time, easily the strongest track on the album. Jumping ahead to "Jenny", John O'Callaghan wrote this one for his mum as a thank you.

John O'Callaghan's lyrics are top notch to go along with his voice that I'm sure makes most young girls fall in love with him, in short, the bloke can sing! The band don't let O'Callaghan claim all the credit though, they've come up with some of the best and catchiest tunes that I've heard in a long time. As I type this I'm humming the riff from "Misery". Job well done to them all.

As a whole, Pioneer was one of the best albums released in 2011, The Maine are a seriously good band who are very close to becoming the best pop rock band out there. Make sure you check them out, you won't be disappointed!

If you are a fan of Every Avenue, This Century, Mayday Parade, All Time Low, You Me at Six or A Rocket to the Moon then you will love The Maine.


Track Listing:

01. Identify - 9.5/10
02. My Heroine - 10/10
03. Time - 8.5/10
04. Some Days - 8.5/10
05. I'm Sorry - 9/10
06. Don't Give Up on "Us" - 9/10
07. Misery - 10/10
08. When I'm at Home - 10/10
09. Thinking of You - 8/10
10. Jenny - 10/10
11. Like We Did (Windows Down) - 9/10
12. While Listening to Rock & Roll - 9/10
13. Waiting For My Sun to Shine - 9.5/10

Overall - 9.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment