Sunday, May 8, 2011

Various Artists - Punk Goes Pop 3 (2010)

As a big fan of the Punk Goes.... series, I was quite excited to listen to the latest release. I came away from it slightly disappointed. Many of the song were lackluster, only a few bands really did what was expected. This makes me unhappy because these albums are about showcasing the talent of today's heavy bands trying something different.

David Stephens of We Came as Romans
The most impressive cover on the album is "My Love" by We Came as Romans, they show exactly why these compilations are made, the use of synth backed verses with the clean singing blends perfectly with the growling in the choruses. Miss May I's cover of Jay Z's 'Run This Town" comes in a close second, listening to this version of the song gives me a new found respect for it. Number three is one of my favourite bands covering one of my least favourite songs, Asking Alexandria's cover of "Right Now (Na Na Na) manages to get me going each time I hear it.

Honorable mentions go to "In My Head" by Mayday Parade, "Heartless" by The Word Alive, "Hot 'N Cold" by Woe, Is Me and "Paper Planes" by This Century.

The rest of the covers are not even worth mentioning, each one is abysmal and will only appeal to the fans of that particular band.

Hopefully the next Punk Goes.... will be an improvement on this one, and possibly reinvigorate the dwindling series.

Track Listing:

01. Down - Breathe Carolina - 1.5/10
02. Hot 'N Cold - Woe, Is Me - 6/10
03. Bad Romance - Artist Vs. Poet - 4/10
04. In My Head - Mayday Parade - 7/10
05. Right Now (Na Na Na) - Asking Alexandria - 8.5/10
06. Paper Planes - This Century - 6/10
07. Heartless - The Word Alive - 7/10
08. Bulletproof - Family Force 5 - 1/10
09. Blame It - Of Mice and Men - 3/10
10. Run This Town - Miss May I - 9/10
11. Airplanes - The Ready Set - 4.5/10
12. Dead and Gone - Cute is What We Aim For - 2/10
13. Need You Now - Sparks the Rescue - 3/10
14. My Love - We Came as Romans - 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment