Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Cell (2000)

For years and years I have seen this movie sitting on the shelf of every video store I walk into, for some reason I have only recently decided to pick it up and give it a crack. The movie's tag-line "Enter the Mind of a Killer" was the main reason I did eventually grab it, judging by that line, it certainly sounded like my cup of tea. Did I mention that Jennifer Lopez was in the film? That just put the icing on top of what turned out to be an unbelievable, mind-bender of a thriller movie.

Vincent D'Onofrio and Jennifer Lopez in The Cell
Catherine (Lopez) is a psychotherapist who treats her patients by entering their mind via a revolutionary new technology that allows her to link her brain with theirs. However, when she is asked out of desperation by FBI agent Peter Novak (Vince Vaughn) to enter the mind of comatose serial killer, Carl Stargher (Vincent D'Onofrio). Catherine must confront the horrors that plague Carl's mind in order to locate his final victim before it's too late.

As good a job as J'Lo did, I couldn't go past the performance of Vincent D'Onofrio, he owned absolutely every scene he was in. In a odd twist I found myself disappointed when he fell into a coma, because I would have to wait another 25 minutes before he was on screen again, but when he returned, he returned much more sinister in his own mind than he was in reality. Vince Vaughn also put in a solid performance with the character he was given, thanks to D'Onofrio though, I didn't pay much attention to Vince.

The Cell offers amazing special effects which still rival those you see in the movies of today, it was the make up effects that really pushed the limits in this film, thanks to the make up each of the demonic kings in Carl's mind were all equally terrifying.

The Cell is one of the best movies I have watched in a while, even though it is from 2000. The Cell prefers to shows us rather than tell us parts of the story, I like that about this film, it is a nice change of pace from movies that force feed us information in order to bring out a complex story.

In short, this movie is amazing, a true thriller, a mix between The Matrix and The Silence of the Lambs. I recommend this for anyone who like a great Thriller/SciFi. If you can't handle detailed murders in film or grotesque characters, then I would steer clear.

Awesome!

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment